Monday, April 7

Elm Studios


Everyone has a dream. My dream as a little girl was to open my own shop.
Throughout school every project I ever made I signed with my initials, ELM. I always knew someday I would incorporate my initials into my own business. As I grew up, I started to realize that the road ahead would be unexpected and challenging but most of all rewarding.

In high school I grew very close to my art teachers. After taking all the art courses that I could fit into four years of high school, I set off for Alfred University. This presented a new, yet exciting challenge in my life. I had to think in ways I never thought before and learned so much about the art industry. In 2003 I graduated with my Bachelors of Fine Arts and relocated back to Buffalo. I had the degree, but still no idea as to what I wanted to do with it. I got married, had children, and was lucky enough to stay home with them. Yet, I went through a loss of who I was, as any new mother probably does.



The in 2006 my childhood dream became when I started my business Elm Studios. I started to feel that little void in my life go away. When I was naming my business I didn’t want the name to be specific to what I was creating, because there was so much that I wanted to do. I started with jewelry, and now it’s taking off even more with the pottery that my husband, Rick, and I have created.
I would like to think of my pottery designs as “simply deep”. Every piece I design brings me back in time to an experience, memory or special moment. I can only hope that people who view my work can relate to it as much as I do. For me, if a piece I’ve made can touch one person, I have succeeded. I love personalizing a piece for someone; I know it’ll be a keepsake for a lifetime. Some day I hope to get back into photography, which is what my concentration was in college, but right now with two young children that doesn’t seem possible. Family comes first. My family has always been very important to me, which is why we decided to stay in Buffalo. I’ve been very blessed to have the support of my family and the help of my husband throughout my adventures. Without his help I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the business and our two little girls. Finding a balance between life and work is definitely a challenge, but thanks to play-doh and finger paints it’s been manageable.


Everyone has a dream. I feel like at this point in my life I am going through the process of making my dream a reality. I don’t remember a time when art wasn’t a part of my life. My husband and I are looking forward to the future. Working in a 10x10 room in our house doesn’t always work and makes it very hard to grow the business. Our big dream is to open a studio in the Buffalo area where anyone can come and take art classes, sell their work and just create. Elm Studios will hopefully be a name that sticks around for years to come.

1 comment: