Friday, December 12

City Love Clothing



Interview:

Tell us a little about yourself: name, where you grew up and where you live
today, when you started your business and anything else interesting!

Tony Maggiotto. I grew up in North Buffalo on Voorhees & Tacoma.
I went to St. Joe's, then Canisius College. I have three beautiful
sisters who all attended Holy Angels Academy. I now live in Elmwood
Village, one block down from my new store.

Besides being a small business owner, do you have any hobbies?
When I'm not working, I like catching up with friends all around
Buffalo. One day I want to take piano lessons, but right now I stay
sane by exercising about 5 times a week. I have found that it is
great for the health of my body, and I need to stay healthy and keep
my energy up. I am my only employee!

How do you support the local arts community and why?
I support the local arts community by teaming with young artists
to create many of the images on CityLove's clothing. I have already
worked with about (8) artists in order to create the 20+ designs in
the CityLove collection.

What is your favorite Buffalo made product you sell?
My favorite shirt is the only shirt I designed - "wake the
lion." The shirt was inspired by the lion mural at the corner of
Delaware & Virginia. The mural was painted by Frank Cravotta. He
once sent me an e-mail saying he saw the shirt...liked it....and
wished us well. He painted it by himself years ago, and his current
job is Director of Design for the Buffalo Sabres. Cool!!


What is your favorite hand-made item you have found at the Buffalo
Indie Market?

I like the hand-made jewelry of Alluring Treasures (P. Neeson).
The pieces are so diverse and very colorful. I liked them so much
they are selling in our CityLove store.



What are some of your favorite local shops and restaurants or cafes?
I grew up in the dining room at Bob & John's on Hertel. I also
love several things at E-T-S and La Pizza Club. Gabriel's Gate has
great ambience and food. For special occasions, I like The Left Bank
or Cecelia's.


What is your favorite thing to do that you can only do in Buffalo?
Drive the Delaware S-curves at least 3 times a day.



What advice would you like to give to someone looking to start a small
business in the Queen City?

Diversify your sources of income. A 21st Century business is
built on creativity, flexibility, and speed. Offer more products.
Offer your services. Get paid for referrals. Sell online. Join
trade networks.

How do you advertise your business?
I do a mix of things, but nothing works better than a happy
customer referral or a special event sale. We have a great product
and we are afforable!


What do you like most about the Buffalo Indie Market and what it stands for?
I like that the people involved are high-quality, genuine artists
and the products are not cheap and/or useless. These are great for
gifts or everyday life.....just like CityLove.


What do you like most about being a Buffalonian?
That one day I know the rest of the world will recognize Buffalo
as a great place to be, and a great place to be from!


If you had one word to describe Buffalo what would it be?
POTENTIAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment