Friday, September 19

Funky Furnishings


At my husband’s Tom urging, I started Funky (In case you haven’t figured it out he’s that good looking guy in the picture with me). Funky started as a custom furniture painting company and quickly grew to include interior decorating, creative classes, faux painting, children’s birthday parties and most recently, event planning services. Funky has given me the opportunity to call the shots and provides me the flexibility to spend time with our little guy Quincy and work around his schedule. I just can’t get enough of my handsome little man!

I didn’t just wake up one day and decide to paint. In 1998 we lost my brother Mark tragically at the age of 24 (Mark Monaco Memorial). Our lives had been turned upside down. At that time, a quote came across my desk and stayed with me. “Work your grief up into art and it is gone”. I can’t say my grief is gone but painting was my lifesaver. It gave me a “reality time out” which I needed. I enjoyed it so much that I would paint at home and on the road (Yes, I had one of those road warrior jobs). I enrolled in classes and read everything I could get my hands on. It truly helped me through what has been the most difficult and challenging time of my life. That was 10 years ago, and as I look at my life today, I am truly blessed and have so much to be thankful for!

Six years later Funky is going strong and growing. As for the future, I have lots of ideas about expanding my product line and venturing out into some other creative areas. I just need to find a way to get more that 24 hours out of a day. If anyone has that recipe, please pass it along. I look at it this way….I’ll get enough rest when I’m gone. Until then…..push the envelope.

Please stop by and visit me at the Buffalo Indie Market on October 12th. I’d love to meet you!

No comments:

Post a Comment